Saturday, April 19, 2014

A monster river fish

So A lot of people have some sort of lucky totem. Maybe they wear their lucky shirt fishing or carry a lucky rabbits foot. Well let me tell ya, I am a walking talking lucky rabbits foot for Dan. It seems like everytime we go fishing he catches a Fish Ohio Fish. And today was no exception. Ive seen him catch fish ohio saugsfish, even watched him catch two fish ohio shovelheads on lures within 15 minutes of each other. The guy flat out catches big fish and is such a good guy your rooting for him to catch another one. He's simply a fine river fisherman. Well anyways, we met on the GMR right at daylight. Dan could only fish an hour or two while I had most of the day. Right away I hooked a big fish that bored upstream and down. Too much fish for my bass tackle. Probably a big buffalo or shovel. Ill never know cause it pulled off long before I ever had a prayer of seeing it. Dan shows up and we stand fishing this eddy visiting and passing time. Boom Boom he catches a couple pretty smallmouth on a chartreuse grub. I finally start to catch a few, meanwhile Dan is looking like Bill Dance fishing his own private pond. I try a few other things but every time I do Dan catches another so I finally just tie on a grub and start catching them regularly too. Then thump and Dan's rod bends double. But it's not fighting like a smallmouth. A buffalo? Dan wonders out loud that it might be a carp. When up rolls this giant bass. A largemouth! A big Largemouth in the river is thrashing around out there. But nothing crazy happens. Dan calmly lands the fish, I lip it. And out comes the tape measure. 21 inches and shaped like the circus fat lady. When you look at the picture remember that Dan is like 8 feet tall and bigfoot is scared of him. What I'm saying is Dan is a vary big man and that fish still looks big.
It's an absolute horse to come out of the river. It's way up on my list of most impressive fish I've seen considering where he caught it.




Then after a few more smallmouth Dan has to leave so I walk out with him and try another three places. Kind of river hopping my way home. Almost everywhere I found that had slack water or an eddy right up against fast water held smallmouth. I caught them pretty steady all day, 90 percent of them coming on a chartreuse 3' grub. It was a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment