Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Some spring bassin

today I went bassing in a gravel pit. After a couple hours with absolutely no luck I was bumming pretty good. I tried jigs, grubs, various soft plastics all with no luck. I finally tied on a suspending minnow. Being a cheap bastard I'd rigged these myself. Last spring Wallyworld had boxes of rebel minnows for sale at a $1.50. So I replaced the trebles with bigger ones and wrapped the forward treble with lead wire. Voila, a suspending minnow plug that doesn't cost nine dollars.A couple jerks to get it down and I let it set. Then a very slow retrieve with more setting than moving. Whack a pound or largemouth hits it. First cast after two hours catching nothing on anything else! I'd like to say they hammered it every cast but they did hit every ten minutes or so. Nothing big, just decent fish. A big improvement over the rest of what's been so far a slow spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment