Thursday, July 17, 2014

Chillin with the SMB's

Wow this weather just keeps getting better. And the fish are loving it. As soon as work was over I made a dukes of hazard exit from the parking lot and sped towards the river. I decided to gamble and drive a bit to a good spot. Three cars pulled off. Oh no. But just downstream is a backup spot that has payed off big in the past. I got there and the river level was perfect. There is this big chunk of rubble in the water and the water pours around it and creates this forty foot long line drawn in the river. Twisting braided super fast current on one side and slow water inches away. So four casts in and I catch a pretty 14 inch fish then a small fish then nothing. I throw and let the lure sweep down with the current reeling only enough to keep in touch with it. Thump and the rod bends way over. Out of the water explodes this big big smallmouth that just seems to hang there for a moment before it spits out my curly shad. Sigh. Nothing for a long time then a pretty 15 inch fish. Right at me feet is a small eddy where the long seam starts. Its covered by a foamy lid the size of a card table. Wham right there with like a rods length of line out a big smallie smashes the swimbait. After a bit of excitement I land a gorgeous fat 18.5 inch fish. I text Dave, telling him its looking special and I cant fish long but he should come up here. Somehow he shows up like 45 seconds later, it scares me sometimes when he does that. So we fish for like a half hour and nothing happens. He's giving me dirty looks for dragging him out here, muttering something under his breath about fishing the last three days and he was going to take tonight off till I called. Dave then snares a little minnow on his jighead. A little fellow not much bigger that a crappie minnow. Off comes the swimbait and on goes a smoke metalflake grub. Finally just as I was starting to fear for my life I felt another thump and a pretty fish leaps out of the fats current. It turns out to be 17 1/4. Finally feeling safe now that he knew I wasn't lying I gathered my stuff and headed out. Man I hope this weather holds. We deserve it after the year we have had so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment